28th July, 2009
The National Health and Hospital Reforms Commission has recommended a number of substantial changes to Australia's health system in a report released publicly on 27th July. Among its key recommendations are:
• the introduction of Medicare Select, under which Australians would be required to join a "health and hospitals" plan offered by either government, the non-profit or private sector;
• the introduction of Denticare Australia which would be funded through a Medicare levy increase and offer universal access to dental services;
• separating emergency and elective services in public hospitals;
• moving services including primary health care, ambulances, family and child health, drug and alcohol treatment, dental care and aged care from being a state responsibility to that of the federal government;
• the introduction of electronic health records for all Australians by 2012.
What do you think of the proposed reforms? Do you think Australia's health system even needs such major reform? What issues are you most concerned about what it comes to healthcare?